The Thunder Bay region has been a welcoming place for people from around the world of every race, creed, religion, and sexual orientation. We are proud of our freedom and our diversity and if elected as your MP I will continue to stand up for these values.
Canada’s Conservatives have a proud history of fighting for the rights and protection of all Canadians, including those in the LGBTQ community, at home and abroad. There are many ways to support these communities and it is vital that the rights all Canadians are protected regardless of race, gender or sexual preference. A few examples:
- Mr. Scheer recently criticized Brunei’s introduction of a law that included the death penalty for homosexuality – https://twitter.com/AndrewScheer/status/1114238484850663424
- Mr. Scheer gave the Opposition response in support of the apology for LBGT Canadians who were purged from government jobs because of their orientation – https://www.ourcommons.ca/DocumentViewer/en/42-1/house/sitting-240/hansard#Int-9810713
- Mr. Scheer put a motion on notice condemn the human rights violations being tolerated and encouraged by the Putin regime and carried out by its allies in Chechnya against LGBT individuals, who according to Human Rights Watch, have been subjected to torture and forced detention, as well as recent legislation which has led to the persecution of religious minorities.
- That, given the continued backsliding on human rights and protection of minorities by President Vladimir Putin’s Russian Federation, the House: (a) condemn the Russian Federation’s ongoing illegal occupation of Crimea and Ukraine, especially the human rights violations committed against local populations, including Crimean Tatars; (b) condemn the human rights violations being tolerated and encouraged by the Putin regime and carried out by its allies in Chechnya against LGBT individuals, who according to Human Rights Watch, have been subjected to torture and forced detention, as well as recent legislation which has led to the persecution of religious minorities; and (c) call upon the government to (i) immediately make known its views to the Putin regime through all channels, (ii) immediately implement increased sanctions and visa bans against such human rights violators in the Russian Federation, Ukraine, Crimea, and Chechnya.
- MP Rempel introduced a unanimous consent motion calling on the government to increase the ratio of LGBT refugees that Canada welcomes and to permanently establish the Rainbow Refugee Assistance program – https://media.conservative.ca/en/statements/trudeau-liberals-vote-down-motion-to-help-lgbt-refugees-fleeing-persecution-rempel
Conservatives will continue to stand up against hatred and discrimination in all its forms.